Saturday, January 31, 2009

He's fallin & can't get up!

Today I was on my way to watch one of my LuLu kids play basketball and I get a phone call from my Mother-in-law. She says, "Hey is Eddie still hunting?" Yeah today is the last day and I am sure he will be there until dark. Why~ What's up? Well she says, Billy, Eddie's step-dad has fallin in the kitchen floor and can't get up! WHAT?!?! She needs someone to come quick and help her get him off the kitchen floor! I was thinking um.... you might want to call 911 maybe?! What if he has broken his hip or something? Calling a professional seemed to be the most logical thing to do to me. You see Billy is in his late 70's and is in poor health. He is very shaky when he walks and he uses a walker. I said, "OK I am 30 mins. from your house I was on my way to a ball game, but I will turn around and be right there to help you." I hang up and call a good friend of mine who is a nurse and ask her for ideas of how I can properly lift him off the floor without hurting him or pulling his fragile arms out of socket or something. You see Billy is about 6' 3" at least 200 lbs. My friend told me how I should try and lift him and for me to be careful not to hurt my back too. Well I get there and I was little hesitant to open the kitchen door. I was not sure what I was fixing to see? Was there going to be blood? Did he hit his head on anything? Was there going to be broken bones sticking out anywhere? When I opened the door, it was a sad site. He was just laying in a fetal position in the center of the room on his side with his head on a pillow. It was sad to see him lying there like that. I just went into medical mode and thought I have to spin him around in front of a chair and lift him into it. I was not sure I was going to be able to do it or not. Well I did as my nurse friend suggested and it worked. I got him up and into the chair. I felt so sorry for him. I know it was hard for him to watch us women try and help him out. Praise God I was able to help!

1 comments:

Emily said...

Where have I been? I didn't know Elaine was married? Good job being the "EMT" on the scene!