Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day

Today is Veterans Day. The holiday where we take time to celebrate our military servicemen. I just wanted to say, thank you all for your service to our country. My Grandfather was a WWII Vet. He is no longer here on this earth with us, but this morning I am remembering him and all the good memories that we shared together. Here are a few childhood memories that I wanted to share. We miss you Grandpa!

  • Sitting on my Grandpa's lap, while he cut the grass on his riding lawn mower and him wearing that big straw hat he always wore.

  • Burning trash at the pit together~ I always thought that was so cool to start a fire and burn your own garbage. There was no pick up that far out in the country.

  • Eating breakfast and looking for animals out the kitchen window. He always had fresh doughnuts for us to eat and we loved this time in the morning together!

  • Going to the watermelon patch and looking for new baby melons together.

  • Taking long walks in the woods. As kids, we would pretend that we were visiting sesame street characters that lived under the rocks and in the trees that were on the trail. We had a blast on these hikes.

  • Shucking corn and Shelling peas together~ and wow they were always so good to eat.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I love the sweet memories! Especially the Sesame Street one! Thanks for sharing!

~*Lisa*~ said...

I loved all your memories of your Grampa! How precious I could see you guys doing this things in my minds eye! Great post!

LeighAnne said...

What a sweet post. :) Your grandpa sounds like a really fun, sweet man. I hope you are having a good week. :)