So it's Christmas Eve and I decided I would would stick with my weekly theme about ornaments and share my thoughts on themed trees with you. I recently was with a group of ladies and we were discussing our Christmas trees and all the ornaments on them. There were all different kids of "themed" trees being talked about. Some ladies had the traditional red and gold theme, and others mentioned the more modern blue and silver, and then you have my tree- the hodgepodge tree. As I grew up, decorating the tree was a family event. My Dad would help get the tree up and my Mom, sister, and I would decorate it. We always would put the rather interesting ornaments in the back and the pretty ones up front for all to see. Doesn't everyone do that? Well not me anymore, my tree is on a revolving stand so you see them all. :) My Mom always let us decorate the tree however we wanted. She would include all our lovely school made ornaments too. Actually she still puts those on her tree today. She and My Dad made wood ornaments on their first Christmas 33 years ago and they still hang them on their tree. I think that is so neat, talk about a tree and ornaments with meaning. How could a "themed" tree be more beautiful than that? I hear these ladies discussing how perfect their tree looks, and yes when I see them they look like they could be in a Christmas edition of Southern Living. I guess if I had a bigger house I would have me a "show" tree and always have my hodgepodge tree too. You see most of my ornaments have a meaning. I just thought I would share a few of those with you...Each year that we have taken a cruise we buy these ship ornaments. They have the names of the cruise ships on them. This reminds us of all our cruises and where all we have been so blessed to visit. We have so many memories on these ships!
When we travel we buy an ornament so that we can remember our fun times that we have shared together at that particular place. Here is the Statue of Liberty. We have been to NYC several times.
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
My Ornaments have meaning
Posted by LuLu's Lane at Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
We have a hodge podge tree too and I love it!! I hope you and Eddie have a very Merry Christmas!!!
We have a hodge podge tree as well. I took pictures today of the tree so I could write almost the same blog. I LOVE the type of tree your talking about. I did at one time when Kenzie was little have the show tree but now I love to get all there hand print reindeer and cute little mason jar picture framed ones out. Ahhh what a wonderful post! Merry Christmas its 12:03 and Santa is working in his/her shop! LOVE YOU!
Merry Christmas Lorie. I too have a hodge podge tree. Each ornament on our tree has very special meaning too and decorating the tree and reminiscing about each ornament is one of my favorite parts of Christmas. I know that your tree is BEAUTIFUL. I hope you and Eddy have the best Christmas ever. I love you girl.
My favorite thing each year is looking at our ornaments and saying "remember when..." Those are the best trees - the ones full of meaning and good memories! Love the pretzel one :)
Love all your ornaments. :) I love the pretzel one. :) Where did you find that? Ya'll may make me convert one of my 5 themed tree's to a hodgepodge tree. I've kept all the meaningful ornaments...I just don't hang them on the tree. I even have an ornament that I bought for my grandmother in 1st grade at Santa's Secret Workshop at McDonell Elementary. :) My Dad got it back for me when she died. I've got the cheesy gold engraved one from the year Sean and I started dating. Lisa gives me one for the kids each year too.
Post a Comment