Monday, May 2, 2011

the storm

This past week is one I will truly never forget. It all began last Wednesday when the weather took a serious turn for the worse. We were under a tornado warning for most of the day while I was at work. I spent the day watching the news and running back and forth from our vault at work. I decided to leave early and head home between the storms. I stopped by Eddie's mom's house on my way home to check on her. It was like pulling up to something out of the movie twister. I stopped out of my car and left the door open and was running in and out of all the fallen trees to see if her car was even home. She had already left to go ride the storms out at Eddie's sister house and I ran around taking pictures with my cell phone so Eddie could see all the fallen trees.

I got home and my neighbor ran over and said you have 10 minutes and another storm is coming. The power was already out so I had to run inside and try and lift the heavy garage door so I could pull inside. I ran inside and got the cat, radio and batteries and hunkered down in the bathroom where I spent most of the evening. Eddie was at work stuck in a safe room. It was very scary to be home alone so I decided to leave between two storms and try to make it to my parents house that is only 10 mins away. I got down one road and the power lines were down, so I had to turn around. I went another way and the road was almost flooded, but I made it thru only to find more down power lines. I went for my third route and again more power lines were down and the radio was saying 15 min until the storm was head my way again. So I raced back home and ran into the bathroom again. I already was having trouble with my cell phone picking up a signal. I could barely text Eddie to tell him I was ok. I was so glad when he finally got home.

That night we were without power, phones, and had very sketchy cell service. Thursday morning we woke up early and decided to head towards a neighboring city where they had power. We needed to get gas for the car, buy some non-parishable food items, and a chain saw for the work at Eddies moms house. Thank God we left early because the panic for gas was insane. The lines at the pump were so long they had cops directing the entrances to the gas stations. We spent the next 4 days working all day long hauling trees and branches to the road at Eddie's moms house. It was tough work. I definitely got my exercise in. We are just so thankful and blessed that God saved our lives and our homes were still standing. The devastation here is awful. There were so many lives lost and homes destroyed.

Ten things/moments that I don't want to ever forget from Wednesday to Sunday night until we finally got power and the phones turned back on:

1.) going to 5 places looking to buy a gas tank for the grill. We finally found a place with some and we bought the very last one! We had to heat water on the gas grill for a bath...I have a new appreciation for hot showers
2.) cooking up most of the meat to eat for the week on the gas grill and cleaning out the deep freeze and giving all the neighbors deer meat- We got to know a few neighbors better this way.
3.) shopping for gatorade in the pitch black at the grocery store- I could barely see my hand in front of my face. I didn't know I needed a flash light to shop. I thought there would be some lights on from the generators.
4.) a stranger pulling up in Eddie's moms drive way (young guy in his early 30's) ready to work with a chain saw, gas, and water. We sent him next door to help out the neighbor. Amazing guy!
5.) two other ladies that we didn't know stopped and offered hot Outback meals out of their truck to people in need. We didn't need any food but wow so nice of them!
6.) my friend Connie and her family showing up at Eddie's moms house with food, water, and a chain saw ready to work. We could never say Thank you enough to them! That first hot shower after several days without one was the bomb diggity! lol
7.) My dear ole Dad working his butt off helping saw trees- I am so blessed to call him my Dad!
8.) Calls and texts from everyone (Emily and Tara) offering their homes for showers, meals, and to recharge things. I am truly greatful for such wonderful friends.
9.) having a curfew in the city and seeing the aftermath of the storm- all the homes destroyed and cops patrolling the neighborhoods to help prevent anyone from stealing anything. It is all just so very sad.
10.) standing in my kitchen and the lights turning back on after so many days without power- you could hear yelling from everyone outside that the power was finally back on.

Thank you God for keeping my family safe!

just some of the wood from one of the trees
Eddie by the root so you could see how big this tree was
one of the fallen trees from the storm

1 comments:

Leslie said...

I am SO glad you and your family are ok! We just got our power back on and have been at my parents in ATL until just a little while!