Friday, June 18, 2010

The Proposal

Today I decided to participate in Kelly's Korner "Show us your Life" because everyone is discussing their wedding proposals. I thought I would share my special moment with you. I wish I had some pictures to go with my post- but honestly I don't remember taking any that night.

Let me take you back to that special day in my life. It was February 14, 1998, yes it was Valentines Day. I never thought he would propose on that day so that was very smart of him because I was truly surprised. Eddie had already asked my parents for my hand in marrige months before. Of course my Dad said YES, we had been dating for almost 4 years.

On that special day I had a basketball game to coach. I coached little league basketball and Eddie use to help me out. For those of you who didn't know, I played B-ball all 4 years in high school. Anyways, my parents came to watch my team play and they both knew that after dinner he was going to pop the question, but they didn't spoil the surprise.

After the game, we got ready and Eddie took me to Ruby Tuesdays for dinner. That was not the original plan. Poor Eddie, he had called a nice restaurant in town to make reservations and they told him they were not taking any for V-day. When we got there that night- it was reservations only and he was hot. So we just picked Ruby's to eat- which was no big deal to me. Of course, I didn't know he had big plans for our evening and he wanted everthing to be perfect. I still had no idea that he was going to propose. Eddie was smart, he bought me several valentines day gifts just so I would not suspect anything.

After dinner, we went to the park to feed the ducks. I loved doing this while we were dating. He knew this always made me so happy. He was prepared~ he had the duck food and ring in pocket (I was clueless). I can remember it being super chilly that night and I kept saying I am so cold. He was constantly saying sweet things to me while we were walking around the park. We decided to sit down on a park bench and cuddle up and try to get warm. He started by saying some sweet things and he said you know I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I said yeah "Honey~I am so cold" haha I still didn't know he was fixing to do it. It was nothing new for us to talk about marriage and our future together. We were always saying things like lets sail around the world together. We often talked about growing old and sitting in rockers on our front porch together.

Eddie then got down on one knee and pulled out the ring and said will you marry me? I was shocked and I just kept shaking my head YES! I was all smiles for the rest of the night! I then went to my parents house to show them my ring. He had picked it out all by himself, it is a round solitaire and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love it, because he chose it for me! We got married 6 months later.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I knew you then but didn't remember this story. How sweet - I remember that you all always went to feed the ducks!

Leslie said...

I love it!!! Eddie is such a romantic :)!

Sarah said...

I do remember this!! Edward is truly a sweetie!!

LeighAnne said...

So sweet! :) Eddie is such a sweetheart!