Thursday, July 17, 2008

Kids riding in trucks...is it safe?

Ok so this sight scared me to death last week. I was driving and I could see up ahead of me this hot shot guy and his buddy in a large roll top muddin jeep. It was older but still it was a macho ride. They thought they were cool, out joy riding I guess. However, one thing stood out the most. I could see little feet being pressed up against the passengers side seat. The closer I got I noticed there was a baby car seat with a small little girl riding in the back of this jeep. Oh my gosh if this thing wrecks, this poor baby is in serious trouble. I just hated seeing her little feet in the back of that seat. I told my hubby to look, and that was a big NO NO and we would NEVER! :) I know never say never right?

Then, I was on my lunch yesterday and I was stopped at a red light and I happened to look over at the vehicle next to me. It was an old, small, rusty red toyota single cab pick up. Did I mention how small it was? It was so low to the ground probably due to all the weight it had in it. I mean there was 6 people packed in this small truck. So you might ask me how that is possible, so I will tell you. I was amazed that these two grown scruffy men that were riding in the front of the small cab, let their 4 little boys ride in the back of this small bed of the truck. The kids were eating ice cream, because it was sizzling HOT outside. Let's hope they don't wreck and cram the stick down their kids throat. If there was an accident, I am sorry but these kids would be seriously injured. I know when we were kids, people would do this all the time, but it scares me. I just prayed these kids made it safely to wherever they were going.

I understand that this may be the only means of transportation that these people may have, but I just wonder what the laws are for people riding in the backs of pick up trucks? I know we use to ride like this as kids, but I don't believe I would let my kids do it now. There are too many crazy drivers out there. Do you think it is safe and would you let your kids ride like that? Wow another reminder of how the times have changed since we were kids! haha I sound like my parents talking now. Talk about scary...

0 comments: